Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Final Project

   






   It’s safe to say we are our own worst critics. Sometimes I also wonder are thought about myself based on fact or based on the beauty standards of this society.  When coming up this piece I started thinking about a few artists such as Frida Kahlo, Carrie Mae Weems. Living in the same world in different times periods but we all share one thing in common. Fighting against the beauty standards of the European descents.  I also believe that no matter your ethic background we are all somewhat effected by the standards of what it considers beautiful. In this collage project I just wanted to show a series of myself though out the years. From the insecure 18-year-old to the confident woman I’ve become today. As women we are always told to be lady like, to be presentable. But when we do adorn ourselves and look nice, we are told that we are vain. Sounds like a contradiction. In John Bergers Way of Seeing he says "the past is never there waiting to be discovered, to be recognized for exactly what it is. History always constitutes the relation between the present and its past." As I read this quote it started to make me think of how I can sometimes stay in the past and how easy is it to get stuck there. But I don't think there is nothing wrong with reflecting on the past but to learn from the history of the past. Whether its mistakes or thought patterns. Even learn from the history of old beauty standards and to not let them dictate to me what beauty is. 
    There as a sense of wanting to belong somewhere, anywhere in those spaces but sometimes it doesn’t work that way. Sometimes we must push against those who don’t feel comfortable with our presence. But first we must get comfortable with ourselves, me included. What would this world be like if I didn’t compare myself to other women. When I look at the artists that were feature, I wonder how they felt in those moments when their presence wasn't wanted but them existing was enough for others. I wonder when in those moments did, they say enough is enough. Before they became “famous” for their work. The work they had to push and fight against with the white male counterparts. Looking back at the photos in the collage I remember there was a point and time where all I wanted was to be approved by the male gaze and even the female gaze. Which brings me to the quote from Berger " Men act and Woman appear. Men look at women. Women watch themselves being looked at; Thus she turns herself into an object and most particularly an object of vision: a sight." I didn't realize how much I wanted to be seen until much later in life. To be approved by all or by anybody. You don't know you have a problem until it smacks you in the face. What I love about artist like Carrie Mae Weems is that she never let what other thought of her stop her from making beautiful art. I want to one day have the confidence that she exudes in my work and not let what people think or even stop myself from being great. 


No comments:

Post a Comment